[TowerTalk] More analyzer reading DE K0FF

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] More analyzer reading DE K0FF
From: K0FF@ARRL.NET (K0FF)
Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2001 15:10:56 -0600
If anyone is keeping track of this, I tested the RF-1, RF-5 and MFJ 259 (not
B) and found:

MFJ 259...+3.5 dBm all frequencies. Quite steady ( I think the simple
resistive bridge in there needs that constant level for accurate readings)

RF-1 ...-1 dBm

RF-5 .... +.5 dBm

Where the untuned voltmeter is terminated across 50 Ohms. 0 dBm = 1 mW into
50 Ohms.

I've heard the MFJ 20 over 9 when my nearest HAM neighbor was testing a 6M
dipole I made for him. A distance of 5 miles, on little over 2 mW.

As a comparison, I get a reading of 0 dBm from a 5 kW AM station, only a
mile or so away, on my 160M sloper( measured on HP 3586 selective level
meter). That's enough to drive my 3 knob crystal radio into distortion. So
much in fact that it has a passive S-meter, so that I can accurately null
out the local with a trap circuit .
ALL BCB (AM, FM, SW) signals in total give me about +5 dBm in the shack from
that same sloper.

Happy Homebrewing, Geo>KØFF
http://homepages.dstream.net/K0FF