[TowerTalk] ISO 9000

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] ISO 9000
From: w7ti@jps.net (Bill, W7TI)
Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 20:31:13 -0800
On Sat, 20 Jan 2001 19:38:47 -0800, Larry McDavid wrote:

>We ignored Dr. Demming, who was trying to get us to improve
>manufacturing quality through statistical methods. Ignored here, he
>brought these ideas to Japanese automotive manufacturers who fully
>embraced them. In turn they captured a very large fraction of our US
>automotive market, not because their products were less expensive, but
>because their products were simply more reliable. Only much later did
>American automotive manufacturers realize their mistake and undertake to
>learn about and implement Demming's ideas.

America's problems with quality were not due to ignorance of Deming.  The
problems came from a conscious decision by upper management to maximize profits
at the expense of quality.  Believe me, they were well aware of Deming but they
believed they had a better way.  Had they wanted to improve quality, Deming's
methods were right before them and quite well known.  When the American consumer
finally got fed up, his methods were adopted.  My point is, it was sheer greed,
not ignorance, which caused the quality problems.

Bill, W7TI