[TowerTalk] precipitation static & folded verticals

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] precipitation static & folded verticals
From: K3BU@aol.com (K3BU@aol.com)
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 10:56:45 EST
In a message dated 1/22/2001 10:39:47 AM Eastern Standard Time, eric@k3na.org
writes:

>  I'm looking for specific information which compares the level of
> precipitation static on folded vs unfolded antennas (preferably
>  verticals).  Is anyone aware of published literature which, for example,
> reports of measurements of measured precip static levels on
>  a normal vertical, compared to a folded vertical on the same site during
the
> same time?
>
>     Alternatively, has anyone installed a folded vertical and a normal
> vertical and been able to make SIMULTANEOUS comparisons
>  between precip static levels?

The only thing that seems to help shielding from "precipitation static" is
the higher antenna or structure (umbrella effect). I.e. in stacked beams
situation, the top beam would have s9+20 noise, the lower beam would be dead
quiet from precip.
Insulated wires, closed loops, folded elements do nothing!
Amazing, but true!

Yuri, K3BU