[TowerTalk] 160/80 M Antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 160/80 M Antennas
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 21:32:29 -0500
Hi Dick,

The main problem with the sloper is the tower acts like the other
half of the antenna. The tower and what is on the tower greatly
affects performance. That's why some slopers work and some
don't. The sloper might work quite well, or might not, depending on
the tower and what is on the tower.

> Thanks for all your input on the Alpha Delta antenna. The consensus is
> to keep that one on the shelf.  Now I am switching thoughts to the GAP
> Voyager DX.  Any help here?

One thing for certain go for the GAP, performance will be very
predictable!

There is no doubt at all the GAP will never have a good signal, no
matter what. With the GAP, you'll easily be a couple S unit's
weaker than you would with a simple low dipole.

Those aren't lightning bolts coming from the middle of the GAP,
they are ZZZZ's. The RF is sleeping in the antenna, and won't wake
up.

If you want reliable consistent performance, install the very best
ground system you can (as many radials as you can as long as
you can make them) and either shunt feed the tower or install a
simple regular old Inverted L.

If you keep considering antennas that offer you magical
performance for no work in the advertisements, you'll keep being
disappointed.
73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com