[TowerTalk] G5RV or Dipoles

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] G5RV or Dipoles
From: w4zw@home.com (Jon, W4ZW)
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 09:22:36 -0500

> Assuming there is a LOT of metal in / near the roof, the
> effective height of the dipoles OVER the roof will be the
> height above the roof, i.e., it would be good to have 30 ft
> masts for support which will reduce coupling effects to
> the structural metal while still directing the signal UP for
> high angle local coverage.

Tom's right.

The antenna to use in that situation is a vertical.  I had an R-7, a A3S,
and a G5RV above a tin roof on a 14 story building in Moscow.  The G5RV was
useless, and the R-7 was in many cases equal to the A3S and was a killer on
40M.  I did a lot of A-B testing and finally determined that the tin roof
worked as a great ground plane for the R-7 and effectively made the A3S
think it was 15' above ground.  The G5RV never had a chance.

Jon Hamlet,  W4ZW
Casey Key Island, FL

"A little bit of Paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"

 One of the W1AW/4 Crew - IARU/WRTC-2000