[TowerTalk] Re: Yagis

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Yagis
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Sun, 04 Feb 2001 13:11:36 -0500
At 11:47 AM 2/4/01 -0500, Tom Rauch wrote:
>If you want truly wide-band performance...forget a Uda-yagi
>antenna. Its primary advantage is simplicity, not bandwidth or
>performance.

>You can get octaves of bandwidth using either method.
>
>For Ham use, a simple yagi or array of yagis is plenty good. I live
>in a rural area with very few buildings or uncontrolled metallic
>objects around my antennas. Even in my very open environment,
>ionospheric scattering and multi-path limits useful antenna null
>depth to perhaps 20 or 30 dB. If you shut the door more than that,
>it does no good. You still hear the backscattered signals from the
>rear.

Sure, but that was precisely my point.  No point in optimizing for
super-deep F/R nulls, particularly if the trade-off is gain bandwidth or
SWR bandwidth (or F/R bandwidth for that matter).  I'm not talking about
octaves, of course -- just enough to cover an entire ham band with
acceptable performance in all 3 dimensions.  The OWA yagi and designs like
W3LPL's 5-element yagi on 4 elements worth of boomlength are good examples
of how that can be achieved without relays or other unreliable mechanical
devices.

73, Pete N4ZR
Contesting is!

The World Contest Station Database