[TowerTalk] Quad vs. yagi

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Quad vs. yagi
From: UpTheTower@aol.com (UpTheTower@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 08:42:30 EST
Being a "new guy" on this list makes me wonder what am I getting into - Some
of you guys have got to be PHD's in electronics or something from Star Wars.

This basic thread/question is of great interest to me - I am going to be
buying something to put up on my 50ft of 25G that's laying in the yard snow
covered now.

Been thinking and looking at all the 10-15-20 and -40 variations out there.
My budget is about $700 +/- come April or May. I have a rebuilt Ham V (?)
rotor with a CD-44 control box (8 wire) and a short 2" mast (5 ft). I will
also be rigging a side arm with pulley for some wire hanging at about 10ft
below the main ant. I live on a 1/3rd acre city lot here in Coeur d'Alene, ID
- this is about all I can put up.

I have looked at the Quads and the Yagi's. We do get ice storms up here, last
big one in '96. The Force 12 models look like they could take it. I'm not a
real lover of traps, but could live with them if the ant was a high
value/benefit item. I have an FT-900AT and a 300 watt tuner. Main ant will
get coax and the hanging wires will get ladder line. I do not plan on any
high power amp for many years, if then.

Will a quad live through an ice storm? Will the yagi's do so any better? I
can handle about 9 sq. ft with our winds up here, they sometimes gust as high
as 70 mph. Very rare to get ice with any wind.

Spec's are nice to read on a cold winters' night - what are some of your real
world observations of these two ant types? My ground is "average" and I'm
going to try and improve that with things buried.

Also, do you guys never "cut 'n' paste" when answering posts? The length gets
my finger numb scrolling down all the time.

Regards,
Mel  KD7DCR
"new guy"