[TowerTalk] Antenna Debate

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Antenna Debate
From: k2av@contesting.com (Guy Olinger, K2AV)
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 13:15:22 -0500
To all of you going nuts trying to figure out [or defend your perception
of] the difference between a quad and a yagi...

The most important set of dB's is in the mind of the contester.

I remember a story about a contester at a multi who was told he was on a
dipole for 15-30 minutes at the beginning of a DX test while the owner
was finishing a repair, and then was told that the big beam was now
inline. The operator immediately switched from S&P to run and praised
the improvement. It was later discovered that the beam was in line since
the beginning of the contest, and the owner had been in the kitchen
getting something to eat, since he had been on the tower all afternoon.

PLACEBO effect is REAL. If we THINK we are loud, we ARE loud, because we
BEHAVE loud.

Truth of the matter, a point disputed by many, but a matter of record at
Bell Laboratories, approximately 3 dB is the threshold of reliable audio
differential perception for the average human being. Probably not a
human alive who can tell which of two tones was louder if the difference
was 0.5 dB. There ARE some transmission modes where an additional 0.5 dB
will allow a circuit to lock on signal and decode, but the human ear is
not such a circuit.

But if you THINK you are 3 dB louder you will ACT and THINK and DECIDE
louder, and your score will show it.

I told a well-known east coast contester that his new 40 meter signal
(great QTH and new 3 element full size beam) was loud. He wanted to know
why I thought it was loud. I had to convince him. I also told him that
when the time came for 40 meter JA opening, that he should not S&P, but
call CQ, because he WAS loud, and should ACT loud. In the contest a few
days later, he RAN JA's on 40 ssb from the east coast.

I once broke a pile-up for a rare multiplier on 15 cw that included some
big time multi's, loading into a 20 meter beam pointed the opposite way.
(Had suffered some Murphy-esque antenna problems and repairs were
underway.)

The thought was, if I can figure out where he is listening on the edge
of the pile up, dB's don't matter if I'm just loud enough to be heard.

THINK loud, think POSSIBLE, operate SMART. BEHAVE like you own the band,
and you WILL.

Biggest dB's of all are between your ears.

73 y'all,

Guy.

Guy Olinger, K2AV
Apex, NC, USA