[TowerTalk] Cleaning

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cleaning
From: wesandlinda@triconet.org (N7WS)
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 22:43:47 +0000
At 15:05 2/10/01 -0500, cqki8fh@juno.com wrote:
>Should a person clean the elements of an antenna that has been laying on
>the ground for about five years.  It is a Telrex 5 element beam.  If it
>should be cleaned what should a person use to clean the metal.  I have
>heard some people use steel wool.  What say ye.
>
>Thanks
>
>Dan

I can tell you what I recently did.  I had an old TH6 that I was going to
rebuild.  When I got into it and saw how crappy the traps were designed and
the shape they were in I decided to turn it into a monobander for 20m.

After complete disassembly and cataloging the material, I built a plastic
lined trough out in the yard.  I made it long enough to hold the longest
length of tubing and about six inches wide and deep.  I filled it with hot
water and disolved a can of household lye in it.

Wearing rubber gloves and safety goggles I dropped in the pieces for a few
minutes and let em' boil.  When I took them out, I used a Scotchbrit pad to
give them a quick rub down and then rinsed with a lot of fresh water.
Purists might want to use a mild acid (vinegar) to neutralize but I didn't.

This was a lot of work but when I was done I had almost new-looking tubing
and brackets, with just a touch of satin finish.

I also replaced every bolt, nut and screw with stainless.  Some of the Ace
Hardware stores stock this stuff and if you buy by the box, it's not too
expensive.  I also used locking nuts everywhere and used Ox Gard at every
joint and as anti-seize on the stainless hardware.

Wes  N7WS