[TowerTalk] Dream on, he will have to prove it to manufacturers on his d

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Dream on, he will have to prove it to manufacturers on his de...
From: Michael Tope" <W4EF@dellroy.com (Michael Tope)
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 03:11:58 -0800
Hi Yuri,

Modeling has evolved to the point where it is an extremely useful tool for
antenna design.
It was developed because physical iterations and measurements on real antennas
are very
time consuming and expensive. Accurate outdoor measurement without the aid of
absorbing
material can be tough if multipath isn't properly controlled. In a work
project, I once measured
3.5dBi gain from a 1/2 wave dipole at 300 MHz. Is the theory (2.15 dBi) wrong?
I doubt it - the
measurements were made on an outdoor range. It was probably range problems or
RF current
on the feedline (it was and end-fed vertical dipole) that caused the
discrepancy. On the
simulation side, I recently had an opportunity to range test a 240 GHz horn
antenna designed
on a computer by a colleague. The test results from the anechoic chamber were
so close to the
simulations that I am still rubbing my eyes (they matched down to about
-40dBc).

BTW, are you planning to publish the range data with all the details of your
scaled tests at
2 meters (range description, reference antenna, gain, F/B, VSWR, etc). That
would go a lot further
to proving your case than all the heated rhetoric that has been floating around
here the last few
days.