[TowerTalk] Orion rotator reed switch failures

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Orion rotator reed switch failures
From: dhearn@ix.netcom.com (dan hearn)
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 07:19:54 -0800
Hi Larry: I did a survey on owners experience with the Orion in mid
January, 1999. I had about 15 responses. Some were put on the reflector
and others were sent to me direct. I promised a summary and it was
posted 28 Feb 1999. I am sure you can get all this in the TT archive.
  There have been some problems with  reed switch failure. After looking
at the responses from people who had problems as well as the many who
did not, I decided to buy one from Texas towers. The unit was fired up
in the shack for familiarization. There was a kind of bumping sound when
it rotated which bothered me.I opened the case and could see nothing
wrong. The gears inside looked like an automobile transmission,very
rugged. I talked to Wyatt at the factory about this. He said he would
send me a prepaid UPS label so I could return it for inspection. He did
that quickly and I sent it in. I had heard that there is room for a
direction indicator pot inside and it can be installed as an option so I
asked him to have this done as a backup for the reed switch. You would
have to rig a meter indicator to use this, not a big job.
  I have had the Orion in use for the past 2 years with no problems.
When I called the factory, I have spoken to both Wyatt and Mike. They
were courteous and knowledgable. I would not hesitate to buy one again.

73, Dan, N5AR