[TowerTalk] Is Cushcraft leaving the Amateur market??

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Is Cushcraft leaving the Amateur market??
From: kg5u@hal-pc.org (Dale L Martin)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 19:07:17 -0600
> Charlie,
>
> This has been Cushcraft's MO for YEARS!
>
> While they may have allowed for pickups in the past, their 4-6 weeks has
> been SOP unless you could persuade a higher-up to intervene, and if you
> could, you got such a bad dose of attitude, you never wanted to call them
> again.

I spoke with a woman there a couple of times (or was it two different
women?).  Either way, both times resulted in satisfaction.

> Forget even asking them for documentation or a part that was
> damaged or left
> out of a new order.  They would practically laugh in your face.  This was
> why I bought used Cushcraft's.  If for another $200-$300 you
> still could not
> get good service and ALL the parts, then I might as well save the
> money and
> "scrounge" for what was needed.  Of course, the fact that they
> used hardware
> and clamps that would rust, was just inexcusable!

I e-mailed one of their techs (at the suggestion from one of my phone calls
there) and received all the info I was looking for (I sent a parts list of
what I needed and asked for prices).  I also asked about the resonant
frequencies of the A3 traps.  I got a nice piece of pdf containing the list
of resonant trap freqs and a description of how to take them apart for
cleaning/repair.

> Frankly, they could care less about the Amateur market.  Perhaps
> it would be
> better for all if they finally left the market so none of us would have to
> go through this agony any more.

I think they do have a sizeable and probably more profitable commercial
business.  I would expect their ham radio side of the house is pretty
insignificant.  Judging by what I've read on this reflector from a couple of
other ham equipment sellers here, anyone in the ham radio business has a
difficult time providing good customer service and quick response with
equipment/hardware.  We may spend some money each year on antennas and other
hardware, but we, as a group, are not much in the way of a market.  In fact,
we're probably more of a headache than a blessing for many manufacturers.

I've got two A3's and I've enjoyed their performance.  I've also appreciated
and enjoyed Cushcraft's service and support.

73,
dale, kg5u