[TowerTalk] Tower Failures

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Failures
From: w1nr@eecorp.com (Mike McCarthy, W1NR)
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 10:39:24 -0500
You can never guarantee a tower will not fall less than %100 of it's height.
The only basic restrictions here in Marlborough, MA for Amateur towers are
that it conforms to Mass. state building code (which basically refers you to
EIA 222) and is %100 setback from the property lines.  Anything else would
require a waiver with, most likely, the consent of your neighbors.  My 90'
tower with 10' of mast just fits into my lot at %100 setback.  Another
interesting rule in the building code is that a support structure that is
12' or less above the roof does not require a building permit.

During discussions be sure you know and understand any applicable state
building codes (if any) and Federal UBC's (Universal building codes).  Use
the term "Antenna support structure" rather than tower.  Refer to PRB-1, and
anything else that the ARRL can provide.  Remember that it should be
construed that these are Federally licensed "Amateur" radio stations of
non-commercial nature and should be a valid "residential" use.  Another
important point: requiring conformance to EIA-222 precludes Mass. state
ham's from erecting crank-up towers, since none of them that I have seen
conform to EIA-222.  All Rohn tower specifications refer to it multiple
times.

GL and 73 de Mike, W1NR