[TowerTalk] Re: Orion 2800 control problem

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: Orion 2800 control problem
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 12:51:44 EST
In a message dated 2/23/01 8:51:30 AM Pacific Standard Time,
00tlzivney@bsuvc.bsu.edu writes:

> Matt at M2 says that the 5 vdc I measured between pins 5 & 6 is consistent
>  with some early rotors - the note on the web site regarding 11.4VDC between
>  those pins refers to later versions.  He suggests looking elsewhere for
>  the problem - probably at the rotor connector at the top of the tower.
>  Now that the TowerTalk archives are back on line, I see that several
>  people have had problems with water getting into the connector.

    Orions are great rotators but I've seen control cable weatherproofing
myself. The problem is that you have a 1/4" cable and 1" connectors so
there's no smooth, easy- to-weatherproof transition. This applies to Hy-Gain
rotors as well or any other big, irregularly shaped joint you want to
wxproof.

    My preferred connector wxproofing technique is to first apply 2-3 wraps
of Scotch 33 or 88 over the connector and cable. Don't forget that the last
tape wrap goes UP the cable. This provides overlap like shingles on your
roof. Install the last wrap down and water is channeled to run right into the
connector.

    While the tape does a terrific job of conforming to the connector, the
tape by itself doesn't do an adequate job on the connector joint. After
application of the electrical tape, paint the joint with Liquid Electrical
Tape. An alternate method is to put a layer of vapor wrap over the tape and
then tape over it. Be sure both LET and/or  vapor wrap extend beyond the
connector joint to the cables - this should make it bombproof.

Cheers,     Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech