[TowerTalk] Re: [Force 12 Talk] Rivets

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Re: [Force 12 Talk] Rivets
From: n4zr@contesting.com (Pete Smith)
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 17:32:32 -0500
At 08:34 PM 2/27/01 -0000, Tyler Stewart wrote:
>Force 12 has had their problems with their larger antenna designs...
>
>Seems like almost all of the problems I've heard have related to large
>element mountings to the boom.  I think perhaps I'll add a bolt or two to
>the larger element brackets on mine before I put them up.  (I'm putting up
>C49xr's and probably 340N's).
>
>It's also possible they've changed the mounting hardware/method on later
>production runs.
>
>Perhaps Natan or Tom will comment...

I hope they will, but in the meantime ...

I recall that this came up a couple of years ago, and it finally became
clear that the problem with the big boom rivets occurred with the beefed-up
models (H or D?), because the rivets that were used on a relatively few
antennas were too short and were not set properly when the booms (with
their additional layers of material) were assembled.  I wish I could be a
bit more specific, but the Force12talk archive is temporarily down -- I can
see the messages indexed, but can't bring them up.

I had a reflector come off my top C-3, but that was cockpit error on my
part -- I used big metal tapping screws to reattach the element bracket
after I had removed it during an abortive conversion to a C-4XL, and the
screws weren't quite big enough to hold well.  When we reinstalled the
reflector (which landed in a treetop from 97 feet -- talk about luck!) we
used two plated Class 5 bolts through existing holes in the bracket, with
Nylock nuts, and I KNOW it's not coming off again.

73, Pete N4ZR
Contesting is!

The World Contest Station Database
is waiting for your input at