[TowerTalk] EF 420/240

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] EF 420/240
From: (
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 09:50:59 EST

> Can someone give me some pro's and con's of this antenna.  Would you buy
>  it agian or some other antenna?

    Works good but I haven't run into any mechanical problems that others
have (easily solved by using bolts thru the boom-to-element clamps and more
rivets on the elements).

    The only thing I don't like about the 40M linear loading scheme is that
each element needs to be tuned independently in the air; it cannot be assumed
that just measuring it will give you the resonate freqs you need for optimal
performance. This is in contrast to the Cushcrafts that you can

    The F12 antennas are generally lighter and exert less mast torque than
comparable antennas.

    IMO electrically and mechanically F12 antennas are quite good and
superior in some respects. Some design/performance inferences can be made
from their triband antennas which placed highly in our on-the-air tribander
comparison report plus the gain figures in their brochure are realistic.

    Monoband antennas are easy to design these days with computer modeling
programs; the trick here is how to interlace them for minimal problems. F12
seems to have this under control.

Cheers,    Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech