[TowerTalk] 20 Meter

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 20 Meter
From: (Pete Smith)
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 10:25:24 -0500
At 10:03 AM 3/2/01 EST, wrote:
>In a message dated 3/2/01 6:47:48 AM Pacific Standard Time,
>> What do some of you believe is the best 20 meter, mono band, 36 foot boom
>>  antenna on the market. I just can't seem to decide on which one to get.
>    "Best"? Depends on what your criteria are.
>    Since most guys want max gain, for a given boomlength the gains for
>different antenna configurations are going to be similar so it doesn't make
>much difference which one you buy. The practical differences will turn up in
>bandwidth, F/B and other parameters and the differences may be relatively

I'm not sure I agree completely, Steve, though this may be true as a
practical matter, for the limited choice of antennas currently on the
market.  I'd be looking for gain and F/B to be consistent with the
boomlength and relatively flat across the band, and for the SWR to be at
least better than 2:1 (preferably 1.7 or so) at the band edges, all with a
single set of element lengths.  This isn't a trivial set of design targets,
and I don't know which company does the best job of meeting them.

73, Pete N4ZR
Contesting is!

The World Contest Station Database
is waiting for your input at