[TowerTalk] power winch

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] power winch
From: (Dale L Martin)
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 17:10:51 -0600
> There's still another side to the power winch and safety.  A
> neighbor has a
> crank up tower that got away from him,
> using the factory crank, and a broken hand was the result.  A power winch
> would have eliminated this safety issue.
> Murphy's law also comes into play with the hand crank...

Here's yet another side:

What's the likelihood of a tower getting hand-cranked down over a tower
being 'powered' down when it's not in use?

A hand-winched tower is probably more likely to stay up than one that is

In a storm, the nested tower might have a better chance of survival over one
that remains extended.

We had a mini-/micro- hurricane blow up down here in Houston many years ago
(called the Valentine's Day storm).  Our club's W-51 was left up because it
was too much trouble to lower it after the last use.  As a result, a Ringo
Ranger, a 5 element 10-meter beam, a KT34A, and a section of tower were lost
when the middle section broke over at the base section's top.

Had we had a motorized winch, I'm sure those antennas and the tower would
have had a better chance of surviving the storm.

Murphy also likes to play with the weather.

dale, kg5u