[TowerTalk] coating tower legs with tar

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] coating tower legs with tar
From: (MGB)
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 09:28:47 -0500
I respect your opinion but many ham towers are already galvanized, and they
still need a protective coating when buried in concrete or soil. I have seen
first hand that galvanized towers have developed deep heavy rust at or just
below the concrete exit area. Also I have personally seen the results of
unprotected towers exposed to various soils. Further, I have seen galvanized
coated steel guy wires rust to the point of failing. A friend lost 150' of
Rohn 55 because he attached the guywires to a buried block of  concrete, and
then filled in the hole with red clay soil. The underground portion of the
guys rusted to the point of failing. I have no credentials, I just know what
I see, and I've seen buried galvanized tower turn to pure rust if not coated
with some protective material. I do admit that this a geographic and burial
material sensitive subject. The chemical reaction of these materials is way
beyond my weak mind, but they do happen in certain circumstances, I have
seen the rusted tower sections first hand.