[TowerTalk] coating tower legs with tar

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] coating tower legs with tar
From: baycock@HIWAAY.NET (Bill Aycock)
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 11:06:06 -0600
Ron- we appear to have a misunderstanding about Tar and Bitumen. My
dictionary says " Bitumen: Any of various mixtures of hydrocarbons and
other substances, occuring naturally or obtained by distillation from coal
or petroleum, found in asphalt and tar, and used for surfacing roads and
In other words- just different consitances of the same thing.
Bill's experience is with applications where salt can get to buildings. I
agree with your assesment about getting to towers, but the natural exposure
I see (acid soil) is just as bad. Where you live, in Florida, salt from the
ocean gets many miles inland.

At 10:47 AM 3/12/01 -0500, you wrote:
>Hi  Bill Aycock baycock@HIWAAY.NET:
>> Is there something unique to Chicago, (other than salt and wind) that
>> supports your position, but does not apply to many of the rest of us?
>  Salt?  How does salt dumped on the roads get onto someone's
>land and onto their tower?  No way. The melting snow es slush
>carries it away.
>  Tar is not Bitumen, they put tar on roads and Bitumen coatings
>on roofs, they have different textures.
>  I don't understand what problems BillH is talking
>about either, true tar may be a very bad idea, it may not stick
>all that well and pull away.
>         73 (= Best Regards) de: (= this is) Ron
>       Please visit my HAM web site at:
Bill Aycock   ---   Persimmon Hill