[TowerTalk] TicRing vs. Side Mount

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TicRing vs. Side Mount
From: (Robin E. Midgett)
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 22:05:00 -0600
That depends (doesn't most things?) on the rotor investment. For instance,
a Ham IV can be had at a hamfest for <$300 with controller, or from Rotor
Doctor for $375.00. IDC Technology offers the Sidewinder for Rohn 25G at
$250.00, an investment of $550 - $575, which is much less than a new TIC &
its bag of headaches. If 360 degree rotation isn't absolutely required, the
side mount wins my vote.

At 12:44 3/6/01 -0500, Barry Kutner wrote:
>A few days ago, someone commented on the cost of a side mount
>vs. TIC Ring. Yes, the side mount is cheaper, but don't forget to
>add the cost of the rotor. When you do, it's probably about the
>I have 2 TIC Rings on my tower. While there have been a few minor
>problems along the way (eg, bad direction indicating pot), one Ring
>has been up 8 years and the other for 2 years, and their both
>working well. If there were room for another antenna, I'd use another
>TIC Ring.
>73 Barry
>Barry Kutner, W2UP              Internet:
>Newtown, PA         FRC         alternate:
>FAQ on WWW:
>Administrative requests:

Robin E. Midgett KB4IDC
VHF+ Glutton