[TowerTalk] problems with 10m COMTEK 4 sq unit

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] problems with 10m COMTEK 4 sq unit
From: Dinsterdog@aol.com (Dinsterdog@aol.com)
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2001 15:19:50 EST
Yuri,

I have just completed a revised version of a 40 meter 1/2 wave dipole 4SQR.
I also expereinced a few problems with the dipole array, but none were
related the Comtek Hybred Coupler.  I instead found some siginificant
differences in the way the dipoles were set up and positioned.  I measured my
feedlines with the balins off........found the velocity factor to be around
81% and made a few minor adjustment that I doubt would ever make a measurable
difference.

Brass tacks, what is your F/B like?? Have you tested the 50 ohm dummy load
with the antennas attached?  Are you getting power dumped into the load? If
it's a bad line to the dummy load, you won't notice the array working ........

>From my experience of using the comtek system, I suggest first to measure
F/B.  If you don't noitce any,  check the dummy load connection.  If it is
hooked up right, and you see the power dump varying across the band, then you
have some sort of array action going-  Also, look for a resonant jump in the
array vs were the individual dipoles are tuned.

Sounds like you already know about these types of test, but just very curious
as to the spacing, dimensions of the dipoles, etc......can you give some
information regarding this????

I have had a few years of experience with Comtek Systems and have found their
equipment to be very, very relaible- Maybe you got a hybred coupler
accidently shipped to you for the wrong band? Will be interesting to see
whats up-

73  Paul  N0AH