[TowerTalk] Concrete Strength

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Concrete Strength
From: (George T. Daughters)
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 14:34:13 -0800

> I am putting up a US Tower TX-455 in about 4-6 weeks.  When I priced
> the concrete delivery, the first question was; "What strength do you
> want?" Examples given were 1500 lb., 2000 lb., etc.  I asked a US
> Tower representative, but they didn't know.  Any recommendations from
> the list would greatly be appreciated.

Their instructions for pouring the base should specify the strength!
It will probably be something like 3000 PSI.  I had concrete pumped
in for my tower (Tri-Ex) a year ago, and ordered 3000 PSI minimum.
The concrete supplier said that the mix for pumping runs well over
that... about 4000-4500 PSI.

A good concrete supplier will test the "slump" and adjust it for you
when they pour.

Read the instructions that came with the tower/base!  Go with what
the tower mfr. says.  You don't want to get this wrong, and have to
redo it.

George T. Daughters, K6GT