[TowerTalk] Concrete Strength

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Concrete Strength
From: (George Benko)
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 19:02:46 -0500
Hi Scott,

First off, I am NOT a concret engineer.  Just a ham who likes to read.

My advice would be to get a copy of an Army Technical Manual TM 5-742,
Concrete and Masonry.  It tells you everything you need to know in this
area. Uncle Sam spares no expense in this area. Another TM 5-615 covers
concrete and masonry for repairs and utilities.

I bought mine from the local gov't printing office about 8 years ago for
$5.00 ea.

Page 3-3 and 3-4 give the age compressive strength relationships for types I
and III air-entrained and non-air-entrained portland cement.

In areas subject to freezing and thawing you need to use air-entrained
cement and recommended for all paving applications regardless of weather.

Given that, age-compressive strenght for type IIIA and IA are about the same
and vary from around 5000 lb. per sq. in for a 5 gal water per sack of
cement to 3000 lb per sq in for a 7 gal water per sack of cement. These are
the strengths after 28 day with a 70 degree F cure time.

You should also be asked the number of bag mix for any given order, that
being 4 bag, 5.5 bag or 7 bag. The seven bag mix if by far the most durable
and shows little sign of weathering after 5 years of exposure to a sulfate

For my 4' x 4' x 7' base with anchor bolts, I specified an air-entrained 7
bag mix that was dry...  It looks as good as the year poured.  I have a US
Tower monopole specially made for 18 sq foot of antenna at 55 foot height
for 70 Mph winds.

73, George