[TowerTalk] Tower Base Construction

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tower Base Construction
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 10:27:36 EST
In a message dated 3/20/01 6:33:38 AM Pacific Standard Time, K4BEV@aol.com
writes:

> Bottom line : It can be done -- just depends on how bad you want it.

    And how much risk you're willing to take. You were lucky.

>  P.S.  Although there is some danger involved, I never had even a hint of
> cave
>  in while doing this. I always had a line tied to me and to a block about
15'
>  from the hole, just in case. Having a lookout posted topside should be
>  required.

    This is why it's illegal per OSHA to be in a hole deeper than four feet
without protective shoring. Since you're doing the work yourself, you're not
subject to OSHA rules but only you can decide what you're willing to do and
what exposure you'll willing to undertake (no pun intended).

    I'll admit to being in many holes myself so I'm not completely innocent
but I always evaluated the situation and always had other people around.

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech