[TowerTalk] using end caps

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] using end caps
From: (Glenn Rattmann)
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 16:08:49 -0800
At 01:18 PM 03/27/2001 -0600, Bill wrote:

>But unless your antenna is located where that noise would be
>objectionable, wouldn't it just be simpler to leave the caps off?
>Every antenna I've seen has element ends that droop at least slightly.
>Wouldn't this drooping allow gravity to work in eliminating water inside
>the element tubes?

Bingo, the guessing game is over.

Elements are not hermetically sealed devices.  Therefore, what goes in must
be let out.

Open ends are best; small holes in the lower edges of the caps next-best,
but they usually get plugged by insect detritus.

Ropes?  Sure.  Quarter-inch cheap poly is fine.  Close-weave types like
nylon or dacron are dense and might hold some moisture; too heavy.

The ropes should pass through the entire length of the element.  Why don't
they fall out?  They are held in conveniently by the presence of a
stainless self-tapping screw at every joint, about an inch behind the hose

Y'all do use the tapping screws, right? :-)

>Those that can, do.

Bill, you're right again!

--Glenn K6NA
List Sponsor: - Trylon self-supporting towers, safety
equipment, rigging gear, LOOS tension guages & more!