Force 12 failure? [TowerTalk] rope in elements

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Force 12 failure? [TowerTalk] rope in elements
From: wa9als@starband.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 21:40:18 -0500
Here's a true story about how a Force 12 element broke even BEFORE the
antenna was on the tower.  I had a new C31XR and had begun assembly near
my workshop.  After I had assembled a few elements, I decided I would
move the operation to the tower site.  I loaded several assembled
elements across a farm wagon and proceeded to drive to the tower site.
As I set out, I didn't allow enough turning radius, and caught the end
of one of the elements on a fence.  Before I noticed and could stop the
tractor, it had bent backwards at least 90 deg or more.  Would you
believe it - it snapped!  It must have been the faulty riveted design!
Or maybe it was the lack of rope in the elements...  Wish I'd had an owl
with me!