[TowerTalk] Steel Towers vs. Aluminum Towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Steel Towers vs. Aluminum Towers
From: Roger Borowski" <K9RB@arrl.net (Roger Borowski)
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 13:43:00 -0500
FYI, back in the early 60's a company by the name of Gotham made
yagis out of galvanized electrical thin wall conduit type steel
tubing. The elements were relatively short and they used big
rug-beater looking wires at the ends for capacity loading to make
up for the lack of length. The popularity was good as they sold
for significantly less than their aluminum constructed
competitors. A trapped tri-band Gotham beam on a 12 ft. boom sold
for under $20 in that era. They also produced multii-band
verticals and the standard phrase at the time was "I've got a
Gotham vertical"! (or beam). They did eventually rust although I
know of one that was painted by its owner and was still in use in
the late 80's. -=Roger-K9RB=-