[TowerTalk] Concrete for Guy Points

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Concrete for Guy Points
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 11:29:57 EDT
In a message dated 4/10/01 7:47:56 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
w8ji@contesting.com writes:

> > I had a gravel truck catch one of the top 1/4" guys on my 69' Rohn 45G
>  > foldover (4-way guying at two levels) and pulled the 4' long with 6"
>  > plate screw-in guy anchor, with ease, right out of the ground.
>
>  No one should use a four foot long anchor with 1/4 inch EHS,
>  especially on 45G in wet loam soil. Look at the anchor rating!

    Totally correct. The one that Rohn sells is about the size of the one
mentioned above and is rated for 2500 pounds - that's less than the breaking
strength of ONE GUY WIRE!

>  You have to use the correct depth and style anchor, or you are
>  asking for problems. They also have to be installed correctly. I can't
>  tell you how many times I see people install screw-in anchors
>  wrong.

    How do people install them wrong?

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech