[TowerTalk] Guy Anchors, cont'd.

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Guy Anchors, cont'd.
From: n9en@voyager.net (N9EN@VOYAGER.NET)
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 09:54:28 -0500
Thanks to all who replied with ideas & suggestions on how
to best pour all that concrete. Evidently, one or two mis-
understood how much concrete will go into each hole. The
6 holes are dug to a depth of 4' and each hole will have 18"
of concrete poured into them. Then the holes will be filled
back in, a little at a time, to allow for compacting the dirt as
much as possible.

I will be using two different sets of guy anchor rods; one
set is 80" long and was purchased from Rohn. This set
had a "curve" on the end that went into the concrete. I
cut off the curved portion, ground off the galvanizing and
had steel angle (3"x3"x3/8" - 18" long) welded onto the
ends, as per the drawing in a Rohn catalog.

The other set is 72" long and is made from 3/4" dia. hot
rolled steel rod. The guy wire end has the eye bent into a
loop and welded back onto the rod, as per the drawing
in the Rohn catalog. This set also has the same angle
welded onto the end of it. After I had the loops bent &
welded, I had a local outfit hot-dip galvanize them. And,
of course, before having the angle welded onto the ends,
I ground the galvanizing off to ensure a good weld.

BTW, last summer, I hauled 6 super heavy-duty screw-in
type guy anchor rods to the local scrap yard. They were
really MASSIVE; 84" long,  made from 1"  diameter rod
and the part which augered into the ground was 10" dia.
by about 10" across. From the looks of them, they were
designed to be used with guy grips, as the ends of them
had rounded grooves in them which were also tapered. I
put out a "to all" mail message on the DX PacketCluster,
trying to give them away but nobody wanted them.

I felt that they wouldn't have nearly as much holding power
as 3' x 3' x 18" poured concrete with the re-bar assem-
blies, at a depth of 4'. Besides, I think that it would have
taken extreme effort to have got these monsters screwed
into the ground. That's why I got rid of them.

It'll be a while before I'm ready to pour the concrete for
my guy anchors. The holes have filled in somewhat, due
to them sitting all winter. Also, I need to provide the
slots in the ground, to allow the anchor rods to come out
of the holes at the proper angles and I still need to get the
re-bar and make up the assemblies. So I think that I'll
first consult with the ready-mix company to see what they
suggest and go from there.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions & ideas.

73 de Brad, N9EN @ Radio Free Roscoe (IL)

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,
http://www.championradio.com

-----