[Top] [All Lists]

[TowerTalk] winch or wench?

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] winch or wench?
From: (FireBrick)
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 20:22:59 -0500
If you can't find a wench strong enough to manually winch your tower up
and down, I have a suggestion for you.

Milwaukee Tools make a right angle drill especially for
plumbers/electricians who have to drill big diameter holes.
Designed to work in rough service this tool really provide torque.

I bought one for my Wilson rotatable after burning out the dinky motors
on the winches that were original equipment.

The Hole Hawg drill is two speed and reversible.
You may need to have an adapter made to connect the chuck to the winch
I had mine made at the local machine shop in an hour.

Plus the drill can be removed and kept out of the weather.

Two conditions to watch for.
First the drill has mucho torque and you need a firm grip.
I can hold it with one hand but you should be prepared.

Second, if your tower does not have positive pulldown you should
carefully watch that a gust doesn't bind your tower and allow the cable
to slacken.

They can be purchased at Home Depot and if it doesn't work you can
return it.
And as a bonus, you have a drill to bore those 4" diameter holes you
need to get that BIG coax through the wall.

The Hawg is a 3 conductor 110 volt device  and requires a proper power
cord plugged into a GFI outlet for safety.

When working toward the solution of a problem, it always helps if you
know the answer.

Bill H. in Chicagoland

List Sponsor: - Trylon self-supporting towers,
safety equipment, rigging gear, LOOS tension guages & more!

FAQ on WWW:     
Administrative requests:

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>