[TowerTalk] lightning season query

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] lightning season query
From: alsopb@gloryroad.net (alsopb)
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2001 17:04:19 +0000
I was recently traveling down I-95 in Northern Florida and noticed
something odd at one of the truck weigh stations.

Among the light poles there were some same height poles topped with
what looked like umbrellas without any fabric.  There appeared to be
ten or more arms/umbrella.  About 15' under these were some kind of
tiny UHF antenna. There appeared to be no vertical radiator on top of
the unbrellas.

Was this supposed to be some new-fangled type of lightning protector?

Instead of beeding off charge I guess these umbrellas would reduce the
volt/meter at the top of the poles.

Didn't see them anywhere else.

de Brian/K3KO

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,