[TowerTalk] Bent Mast

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Bent Mast
From: (
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 11:16:32 EDT
In a message dated 4/23/01 3:38:57 AM Pacific Daylight Time,

> Last year a local ham put up a stacked array on a water pipe mast.
>  During a winter storm, it bent about 20 degrees just above the snorkel
>  on the Rohn 25. He seems to think he can attach a line and bend the
>  mast back into line so it will drop through the top section. I don't
>  think this stands a chance of working and have advised him to spend
>  the bucks and hire a crane. What is the collective wisdom on how to
>  handle this situation without getting someone killed or injured.

    It's unfortunate that the guy didn't submit a claim to his insurance
because it would have been covered but he's probably missed the 30-day window
for submitting a claim. Then he could've had professionals come out and take
care of it (they would've used a crane). The insurance company *expects* you
to use professionals.

    In any case, I would recommend taking the whole array off the tower with
a crane or boomtruck and then re-installing everything including a proper

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech

List Sponsor: - Trylon self-supporting towers,