[TowerTalk] Bent Mast

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Bent Mast
From: (J. G. Kincade)
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:09:48 -0500
Son of a gun. I gotta congratulate this gentleman on the size of his
cojones. My yellow stripe might be showing here, but no way on God's green
earth would I have the moxie to try this. Mechanically, I can see how it
might work if everything bends gently as predicted instead of suddenly
breaking off, but safety wise, I would NOT be the guy up there with the
hacksaw. I guess I'd just have to dig into the old savings account and get
the local crane guys instead. I'd be poorer, but I'd live to write the
check. :-)
73, Jerry W5KP

>    1)  Tie a strong rope as far  up and "above" the bent place as
> possible.....
>    2)  Tie another rope to the area of the "bend"....just "below" the bend
> and just above the bend.  This is a simple "bridge" of the bent  place on
> mast.
>    3)  take a hacksaw, and SLOWLY saw and gradually weaken the "bent"
> part....while simultaneously letting the ground crew pull downward on rope
> the cut weakens the mast, and tension pulls downward....the mast
> will bend downward, and the antennas will be reachable as the mast folds
> over

List Sponsor: - Trylon self-supporting towers,