[TowerTalk] Cushcraft 2 el 40 and interaction

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Cushcraft 2 el 40 and interaction
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2001 13:57:48 -0400
The Cushcraft 2 el 40 does interact with the 15 meter portion of almost any
tri-bander (the KT34XA etc) although N4KG is correct that
it works well on 17 (18mhz).  I feel much of the interaction comes from the
23' boom.   I find that at least 7 feet is necessary (10' is better)
to avoid interaction.  With the KT34XA, 15 meters is the worst compromise
band so its takes a hit with any antenna nearby that runs on 12, 15, or 17
meters.

I have heard the XM version has more interaction although its exactly the
same antenna electrically.  Regarding performance, the Cushcraft was head
and shoulders better than the Mosley S402 I had up and the TET 3 el 40 on a
46' boom.  I compete well with guys using the 3 el Telrex on a 29'  boom and
the 4 el KLM.   Even losing one of the top hats on the reflector has not
changed the results although the SWR moved up from mid band to nearly 7.2.
Now I can work the stations tuning 7295 without losing several hundred watts
to SWR!   I do need a tuner to work 7005 but it plays well there and seems
to have 10 or 12 db front to back.

It is the best 40 meter antenna I have used (outside of the big ones at
N4RJ) and makes me competitive on my small 1/2 acre lot.   Wish I could find
a single antenna on 80 and 160 that worked as well!

73 Dave K4JRB

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,
http://www.championradio.com

-----