[TowerTalk] torque specs for steel bolts

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] torque specs for steel bolts
From: (Steve Miller)
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 13:01:56 -0400 (EDT)
Unless I looked at the wrong page, the fastener torque page at does not cover grade 2 or 5 bolts.
(Presuming Ted meant grade 2 instead of grade 3.)

Actually, you want to tighten the bolt to a specified preload
tension (typically 75% to 90% of the proofload).  The proper
bolt or nut torque is proportional to the preload tension and
the 'K factor' (which decreases with lubrication).  The following
fastener reference will give you a good start toward answering
your question although it did not list a K factor for nickel
plated bolts.  Note that the K factors may vary substantially
compared to stated average values. The fastener reference also
contains a lot of other interesting material beyond tension and

Steve  N8SM/5

N3UE also wrote:
>Here is a better page, has specs using oil or molly

Steve Miller   N8SM

List Sponsor: - Trylon self-supporting towers,