[TowerTalk] Coax

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Coax
From: (Pete Smith)
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2001 22:18:11 -0400
At 12:39 PM 4/28/01 +0000, alsopb wrote:
>I've seen two schools of thought in running coax in PVC pipe.
>The first school thinks it protects the coax.
>The second school maintains it guarantees that the coax will sit in
>If coax is going to sit in water why bother.  They maintain it is
>impossible to keep moisture out of the pipe and it accumulates with
>time.  They suggest one design where the PVC pipe it it high in the
>center and tips either direction into dry wells at the end.  Even this
>design has problems when ground water table rises to the ends of the
>What is real world experience with this?

I have had ALL my tower-to-shack cabling in 2 x 3" PVC conduit buried under
maybe 4" of dirt (acros my side yard in WV)  for 5 years.  Absolutely NO
problems.  To be fair, mine has a very distinct one-way pitch, so water
retention is NOT a problem.  This conduit is the stuff used for TV cable
and utility wiring, with thick walls and a silicone lining for easy

73, Pete N4ZR
Contesting is!

The World Contest Station Database
is waiting for your input at