[TowerTalk] Tilting Boom Design

To: <>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Tilting Boom Design
From: (Kurt Andress)
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 17:04:28 -0700
Mike Wetzel wrote:
> Can anyone point me to a picture or diagram that has a mast to boom mount
> that will allow the boom to tilt over so that the elements on the ends of
> the boom are accessible from lower on the tower?  I plan to have a 48' boom
> close to the top of the tower that I'd like to tilt and be able to reach an
> element on each end of the boom.  The tower is R55 with a stock flat bearing
> top plate, mast is 3" o.d.
> Mike W9RE

Hi Mike,

The PVRC mount shown in CH 22 of the ARRL Antenna Book does this.

But, I'd recommend that it not be left in place all the time. The
mast-to-boom offset creates a ton of torque when the boom is aligned with
the wind. If you're using a prop pith to turn it, it's probably ok.
Anything else, I'd make it a gizmo you take up there and mount in place
when you need it. IMO, doing that makes more sense than duncing around with
fetched up rotators.

73, Kurt, K7NV

List Sponsor: - Trylon self-supporting towers,