[TowerTalk] Using extra anchors #2

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Using extra anchors #2
From: K7LXC@aol.com (K7LXC@aol.com)
Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 10:30:30 EDT
eric_schurman@hotmail.com writes:

> >Why don't you use regular anchors in concrete and then just cut off the
>  >anchor rod when you leave? The concrete will be a couple of feet below
>  >grade
>  >anyway and virtually undectable by anyone in the future. There will be "no
>  >trace".
>
>  Well, a couple of reasons. This really is a leave absolutely no trace
>  area-it will be inspected in detail after we leave. Additionally, land
speed
>  records are set on this ground and the thought of a little ground wearing
>  away and exposing rod that could slice into tires going hundreds of miles
an
>  hour is pretty horriffic.

    The Rohn concrete anchor block is a couple of feet below grade. What I
was referring to was to dig down to where the anchor rod exits the concrete
block and chop it off there. You could even dig the hole deeper so the anchor
would be further down and you'd have more soil above the block. I can't
imagine anything 3-4 feet below ground causing any sort of problem - either
now or for hundreds of years in the future.

Cheers,    Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech

List Sponsor:  ChampionRadio.com - Trylon self-supporting towers,
http://www.championradio.com