[TowerTalk] Using extra anchors

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Using extra anchors
From: wa9als@starband.net (WA9ALS - John)
Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 17:22:08 -0500
> The Glenn-Martin 70' aluminium tower is on a tilt base.  It is
> supposed to be able to be erected by a small group of people.  Being
> aluminium, there isn't the weight problem of Rohn 25.  I believe
> WA9ALS did it this way.

Yes, I did, but...  Much different weight, as you said.  AND, the hazer was
at the bottom, AND there were NO antennas/mast/rotator installed yet.  AND
we pulled from an elevated point, as someone else mentioned.  I had a huge
pulley block up in a strong tree maybe 35-40 ft high.  We used some
especially strong rope from about the middle of the tower, through the
pulley block, and down to the ground to wire rope on a winch on a truck.  A
bunch of us lifted the top portions of the tower off the ground to lessen
the pulling angle, then the winch operator hit the button and up she went
without a single problem.  We made a loop through the tower long enough to
be reached from the ground once the tower was upright.  Thus once up, we
could get to this loop and untie the rope, freeing it from the middle of the
tower without climbing up there to get it.  I'm sure the big rope I ordered
from Bailey's cost more than Brian's crane!  ;-)

List Sponsor:  Champion Radio Products - We'll be at the Dayton Hamvention
with all of our safety equipment and other products. Stop by booth #559 and
say hi.
<A HREF="a">http://www.championradio.com</A>

-----