[TowerTalk] 12 & 17m

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 12 & 17m
From: k6sdw@arrl.net (Eddy Avila)
Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 05:29:16 -0000
Joe,

Running a C3E here on a roof-mounted tower and antenna is about 36' above
ground. With the C3E and the LDG AT11 Autotuner (rig is older Ten Tec with
no auto tuner) I easily achieve 1:1 Vswr on both 17 and 12 meters. That's
the good news, the not-so-bad news is that my wire dipole up about the same
height produces the same signal levels inbound and outbound. Force 12 never
claims to have gain on these bands with this antenna which has been my
experience, so the only thing I've gained with the C3E on 17/12 is the
ability to rotate it towards the source of the signal which is something I
can't do with my wire dipole.

My opinion is if you really want to be competitive on these two bands you'll
need to put up a yagi/quad designed for 17 and 12.

73...../k6sdw