[TowerTalk] How to connect pieces of coax?

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] How to connect pieces of coax?
From: Tõnno Vähk" <tonno.vahk@mail.ee (Tõnno Vähk)
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 20:24:59 +0300
Is it a good idea to make a HF antenna feedline from several shorter pieces
of coax by soldering or in any other way connecting them together without
proper connectors?

Having RG 213 and LDF 4-50A in mind mostly. I have about 4-5 50 feet pieces
of LDF 4-50A. What would be the best way to make one feedline out of them
without using connectors? (hardline connectors very expensive and hard to
find).

How much do the specifications (attentuation, RF leakage, etc...) of the
cable deteoriate when soldered together from pieces?
Should the connections be shielded somehow??

What should I be mostly worried about when doing it?

I remember having read a comment about VE1ZZ doing it in some of the
messages previously...

thanks in advance for help,

73s
Tonno
ES5TV

List Sponsor:  Champion Radio Products - We'll be at the Dayton Hamvention
with all of our safety equipment and other products. Stop by booth #559 and
say hi.
<A HREF="http://www.championradio.com";>www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----