[TowerTalk] 213/LMR coax splices

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] 213/LMR coax splices
From: wa2bpe@exotrope.net (WA2BPE)
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 21:00:47 -0400
Ted,

Personally, I think you are asking for trouble.  It is hard enough to properly
install connectors, etc. and maintain the integrity to prevent ANY moisture
from creeping in; hermetic seals are exceedingly difficult.  Water (liquid) can
usually be kept out, but water *vapor* is another matter.  Since you are in HI,
the humidity is also against you; I usually try to install connectors outside
when the humidity is low.  On top of this, you now have the issue of impedence
bumps rearing their ugly heads.  You *might* get away with it for a while, but
in the long run, the coax will likely fail.  I won't say a simple splice can't
be done, but I won't do it!  The best splice will be one meant to be (e.g.,
LMR, Andrew, etc.); if I must join cable, it is with connectors and a barrel
with true overkill in waterproofing.    Hopefully, if you try it, it won't take
out a set of finals when it fails!  GL.

73,

Tom - WA2BPE

Ted Leaf wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> How about splicing pieces of 213 to other pieces of 213, LMR 400 to other
> pieces of 400, or even putting the two types together.  Is there a
> successful way to do it?
>
> What I mean is a direct splice; NOT using 2 PL-259s and a barrel connector
> in between.
>
> 73, Aloha
> Ted Leaf, K6HI
> Kona, Hawaii
> <tleaf@hotmail.com>

> List Sponsor:  Champion Radio Products - We'll be at the Dayton Hamvention
> with all of our safety equipment and other products. Stop by booth #559 and
> say hi.
> <A HREF="http://www.championradio.com";>www.ChampionRadio.com</A>
>
> -----

List Sponsor:  Champion Radio Products - We'll be at the Dayton Hamvention