[TowerTalk] Binding Rohn TB3

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Binding Rohn TB3
From: kb7ww@uswest.net (KB7WW Art Moe)
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 09:51:22 -0700
Sylvan,

Remove the set screw in the inside and take out all the bearings, this
will allow you to inspect the races as the bearing will come apart after
the balls are out. When I did mine the bearings were very rough as were
the races. I bought new bearings from a local bearing specialty house and
cleaned the races with fine emery cloth. This did not take all the pitting
out of the races but when reassembled it worked fine. I greased the bearings
and races with Boat Trailer wheel bearing grease (water proof).

Also count the balls as you take them out so you put that many back in. Maybe
some one on the list knows how many there should be.

Good luck
Art
KB7WW

Sylvan Katz wrote:

> TT's
>
> I just took the TB3 thrust bearing off the top of my 25G foldover.
> Throughout the winter it seemed as if the bearing was binding and sure
> enough when I took it off the tower I can see that it is not rotating
> freely. Perhaps there is some dirt in the race. Does anyone have any
> pointers about cleaning a TB3?
>
> tnx
> .. sylvan

> Sylvan Katz
> VE5ZX & G0TZX
> Saskatoon, SK
>
> List Sponsor:  Champion Radio Products - We'll be at the Dayton Hamvention
> with all of our safety equipment and other products. Stop by booth #559 and
> say hi.
> <A HREF="http://www.championradio.com";>www.ChampionRadio.com</A>
>
> -----

List Sponsor:  Champion Radio Products - We'll be at the Dayton Hamvention