[TowerTalk] New Book Release: Cubical Quads - VOLUME 2 by L.B. Cebik

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] New Book Release: Cubical Quads - VOLUME 2 by L.B. Cebik
From: thompson@mindspring.com (David L. Thompson)
Date: Sun, 13 May 2001 16:47:34 -0400
I trust L.B.'s new book will suppoort the quad as an important, prosuctive
antenna.  I have used both quads and Yagi's
with good results over the years.   Quads have been popular with DX stations
in the Pacific rim etc (DU, 9M) and tropical areas due to ease of obtaining
bamboo, but have always taken second place to yagis as yagis require less
maintenance.

I have found that quad loops work very well on their fundamental frequency
and virtually all frequencies above. This is why a 160 or 80 loop is an
effective all band antenna.  The problem with loops as parasitic elements is
that they have a low Q (broad bandwidth response)
and thus in practice fail to live up to the published gain figures of
Lindsay and W6SAI.   This can be overcome by using driven elements
as noted by W6PU (ex K2DGT) some years ago in QST.  Fred, K3ZO has found
that the W6PU design can be improved and he has done so.  The problem is
again its more complex that a yagi to achieve.   K6YNB (now K6NB) came up
with the Quagi as another effective way to utilize the loop in a parasitic
array.

Loops and yagis can be very effective antennas and I look forward to L. B.
's analysis!

Dave K4JRB

List Sponsor:  Champion Radio Products - We'll be at the Dayton Hamvention
with all of our safety equipment and other products. Stop by booth #559 and
say hi.
<A HREF="http://www.championradio.com";>www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----