[TowerTalk] TB3 Fixex - a moral to the story

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] TB3 Fixex - a moral to the story
From: jskatz@sk.sympatico.ca (Sylvan Katz)
Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 08:39:12 -0600
TT's

I got lots of replies with useful information. The problem it seems was due
to the set screw not being screwed in far enough. From time to time a
bearing would fall into the small space remaining in the bearing exit hole
and bind the whole bearing. I bought the bearing new directly from Rohn. It
arrived with no instructions and I assumed that everything was ready to run.
In the late part of last summer I installed the bearing right out of the box
on to the top of the tower. Once the antenna was on the mast I noticed that
there seemed to be a little bit of binding but I was not sure were it was
happening. At first I thought I had problems with the capacitor in my T2X
control box - I replaced it but the problem was not resolved. Winter set in
and the problem got worse. The strange thing was that antenna would rotate
for a long time trouble free and then all of  sudden it would freeze - of
course usually in the middle of a contest :-). However, as soon as there was
a strong breeze the problem would clear up. Now I realize that the wind
would vibrate the tower causing the bearing to dislodge from the small space
in the exit hole.

The moral of the story - Rohn thrust bearings can arrive from the factory
with the set screw not adjusted properly.

tnx for all the help
.. sylvan

Sylvan Katz
VE5ZX & G0TZX
Saskatoon, SK

List Sponsor:  Champion Radio Products - We'll be at the Dayton Hamvention
with all of our safety equipment and other products. Stop by booth #559 and
say hi.
<A HREF="http://www.championradio.com";>www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----