[TowerTalk] Dayton and Tri-Ex Towers

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Dayton and Tri-Ex Towers
From: geo@datasync.com (George Bethea)
Date: Mon, 21 May 2001 22:49:44 -0500
I talked with Joel at First Call's booth in Dayton. He has had about the
same response from Will-Burt as most of you have had. It is a sad shame
because the updated versions last built  by Paragon Manufacturing in
California were of the highest quality product I have had the pleasure of
buying. They were slow in building but high in delivered quality. I know two
hams, one in Texas and one in Florida that also took delivery of Paragon
product right before and right after I did. They were most pleased as I have
been. My line of business is Marine in nature and my main engine supplier
(96 years in the business) folded up in December of  last year. Four long
months of uncertainty ended with a major player buying them out of Federal
Bankruptcy Court, and they have made more major improvements in the last 3
months than in my 26 year relationship with the old company! I can only hope
time will bring Will-Burt around to this way of doing business. If not,
another fine Ham product vanishes. At least US-Tower makes a  high quality
product for this market. I have owned one new US-Tower product and it was
wonderful to operate. Very high quality and finish. My only negative comment
is in their refusal to supply instructions to re-install cables, even with
the purchase of cable kits from US Tower. I realize the liability factor,
however I used to sell 100mph plus tunnel hull Ski boats. All that was
legally required was a written release of responsibility by the seller, with
the purchasers written acknowledgement that they were purchasing a high
performance vessel meant for racing purposes only. This contract was
supplied by the manufacturer to the dealer. No sign, no sale. I can assure
you that an untrained pilot has a much higher chance of hurting themselves
in this type of boat than a ham would have re-cabling their tower.  I always
only sold to competent experienced high performance boaters.  Kind of like
Contesters and serious DX'ers!. This would be much safer if the proper
sequence to follow were supplied by the manufacturer.  I am sure that a
similar contract could cover a sale of this type. Pay a good lawyer and tack
on the expense to the cables I buy. Sorry for this being so long. This is
reflector is the best info sight on the WEB. Thank you all! 73 George
k5jz@mdxa.org

List Sponsor:  Champion Radio Products - We'll be at the Dayton Hamvention
with all of our safety equipment and other products. Stop by booth #559 and
say hi.
<A HREF="http://www.championradio.com";>www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----