[TowerTalk] Baluns and SWR

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Baluns and SWR
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 00:18:42 -0400
> I rarely see transmission line transformer baluns, a la W2FMI,
> mentioned on this reflector. Is there a reason for this other than
> their relative construction complexity?

Transmission line baluns are poor baluns for most applications.
They are much more impedance and load critical than choke
baluns, more lossy, and don't do as good a job. They are more
difficult to make work over wide impedance ranges.

There are some specific applications where they are useful, but
those are mostly circuit applications like driving push-pull
transistors or tubes where you want balanced voltages and not
balanced currents.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----