[TowerTalk] dB Loss Equivilents for SWR Values

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] dB Loss Equivilents for SWR Values
From: i4jmy@iol.it (Maurizio Panicara)
Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 15:35:04 +0200
The formula you found is correct in the sense that because of a 1:3 SWR the
power delivered to a non reactive load by an ideal 50 Ohm generator is 1.25
dB less than it would with a 1:1 SWR.
If the actual load, that one producing the stated SWR, determines an
increase or a decrease in the system efficiency because a generator (that's
real and not ideal) it's a practical consequence that may largely vary but's
finally moderate.
Added loss by 1:3 in a line with low losses (short) is not so important
likewise the possible (moderate) increase in efficiency. Added loss in a
lossy line with 1:3 SWR is much more important than the theoretical 1.25 dB
and in 99% of the cases fully overtakes the amount of the the eventual
effciency increase.

73,
Mauri I4JMY