[TowerTalk] Pier pin vs. burying in concrete

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Pier pin vs. burying in concrete
From: alsopb@gloryroad.net (alsopb)
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 19:16:17 +0000
I have been following this thread and see only tangential references
to the type of pier pin installations I've seen.

First, they use a flat bottom plate on the concrete.  I doubt that
these rotate at all to relieve the moment at the bottom.  Kurt's
analysis looked at this and concluded it almost is equivalent to a
burried installation.

Second, I see no reference to the complicated rebar cage that one has
to put in the hole to make up for the missing tower section.

It appears that this type of "pier pin" base is the worst of both
worlds.

73 de Brian/K3KO

Hank Lonberg wrote:

> With the pier pin base there is no moment developed at the base.

List Sponsor: Are you thinking about installing a tower this summer? Call us
96-feet for less than $2000! at 888-833-3104 <A
HREF="http://www.ChampionRadio.com";>
www.ChampionRadio.com</A>

-----